Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Road trip

Well, we made the drive to Montana and Back still smiling, so all is good. Paul and I decided to drive because we wanted to stop and see some fun sights along the way with the kids. So we packed our car Sunday night, and headed on our way. Hunter was all set with his bag of toys and snacks, and some new DVDs to watch thanks to the Raridon's. Kinley was snuggled up in her carseat and enjoyed watching herself in the mirror above her seat ( I know, she is sooo my girl).

The first leg of our trip, we drove into the wee hours of the night making it to Sioux City, SD. The next morning, Paul offered to drive first (and pretty much the whole way there...but who's counting). I fell asleep, and when I woke up he had pulled over to our first sight seeing stop.....
The world's only CORN PALACE


You can imagine my surprise when I woke up to find that my husband decided we just had to stop and see this place.

All in all, I guess I am glad at least now I can say I have been to the only corn palace in the world. I have to admit, It was pretty cool to see that the whole building was made from ears of corn. Hunter enjoyed it too...as you can see from his drawing from our first stop on our road trip

I enjoyed my husband's ethusiasm about exposing our children to all sorts of different sites along the way, but needless to say, I made sure to be awake before we made any further stops.

And so it goes, our next stop was the famous little town called Wall Drug. Hunter was not so excited about the historical town, but he was ecstatic about the 80 foot tall dinosaur we saw right off of the highway.




I think we all enjoyed our last stop the most. We were fortunate enough to be right by Mount Rushmore, and of coarse we just had to stop and explore.



We also had fun finding our state flag and learning about when we joined the union

Our last stop included a long detour through the beautiful scenic Custer State Park

All in all, the road trip to Montana was a GREAt idea. We had fun seeing the different sites, playing car games, swimming in the hotel pool, eating out A LOT, and just enjoying some family time.,.....Now our trip back, that was a different story, but that calls for another blog post.


No comments: